Monday, October 15, 2012

Getting Back into the Swing of Things

Holy cow, it feels good to be home!  Not to say that we didn't have a good time, because we totally did, but there is something to be said about sleeping in your own bed!  We have all been in Northern Virginia for the past ten days visiting family.  I was really hoping to be able to blog while we were gone, but there just wasn't much to write about.  We were in a fancy area with no close thrifts shops, and the one garage sale I went to was selling a non-antique/vintage leather bag for $100!  Needless to say, that was way out of my price range!  I was able to find two things when we went to Manassas Maryland.  Yeah, that was it!  Two things!  It was a rough trip as far as my thrifting itch was concerned.


I originally thought this was an Opal Pyrex bowl, but from what I have seen, those don't have a stamp on the bottom.  This one does, and is stamped with 1950.  I'm going to research it a little more before I put it in the booth.  Does anyone have any input on this one?



I also found this cute little made in Japan chick.  I didn't notice that she was broken in a few places when I bought her, so I was apparently desperate to buy something, anything!  I won't sell her like that, so she will live in one of my plants.



I guess I should be happy that I found them at all, because for a minute I thought I was going to go back to Colorado empty handed.  Part of the problem was that I was limited in what I could purchase because I was traveling by plane.  But honestly, I didn't see anything that I was super bummed about leaving behind.  And the other problem was that what I ran into was either crazy pricey or very very old English traditional style, which is fine, but just not my cup of tea ; )   This is an example.  Imagine very high prices, and you will understand why I felt a little out of place.



I don't know what I was expecting, but I guess my hopes for awesome were too high.  A Goodwill that we stopped at almost made me cry because it was so small and barely full, and a thrift shop in Georgetown made me choke!  I picked up a $150 sweater and promptly put it back, and slowly but carefully walked out.  I think that if I had more time to wander around and was not easily intimidated by horrible traffic I would have made out just fine.  Anyway, enough of my whining!  We had a great time with all the family, and that is the most important thing.
I went to the thrift shop today, and found some good stuff.  But that is for another post!

Now I'm going to head over to Sumo's Sweet Stuff for Market Yourself Monday! I will also be joining the party at Apron Thrift Girl for Thrift Share Monday.  So glad to be getting back to normal!

1 comment:

  1. I think we're totally spoiled by CO thrifts! Heck, I grew up in Utah and the thrift stores there are totally the pits, even though they're only one state away! I do think there are better places for estate sales, however. For me, all of the 'older' parts of town are way over on the west side of the metro area--45 minute drive at least--so I don't get to go to many. And even still, I think they just don't have the 'old stuff' like they do in other, more established places.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Your advice, tips and comments are sincerely appreciated!!! I need all the help I can get...