Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Thrift Haul in Technicolor - Part 2

Here is the continuation of the spectacular haul (Part 1) I had a few weekends ago.  Why can't every weekend be like this one was?  Because I'd be freaking broke, that's why!  Ha!

I'll open with what is probably my favorite item from this haul.  That afghan!!!  The colors are just so perfect for my house it's unreal.  And it's so nicely done.  I'm in love!  The lady of the house was pretty dang good with a needle and thread too.  This embroidered deer table runner is impeccably done and the crochet edging is just perfect.  I was really hesitant to take it to the booth.  And that sewing kit is awesome!  I love anything with a kissing clasp.
Isn't this just a pretty picture?  I was so happy to finally thrift some good Pyrex!  They went to the booth while the fabulous blue pencil sharpener went to my Etsy shop.  
 I have no clue as to what I'm going to do with these, but I HAD to have them.
 Vintage Easter!  The little ducky and bunny have spun cotton heads and are actually little pieces of foil wrapped candy.  And who can resist a honeycomb Easter egg?  Not me, that's for sure!  
 I have a thing for old pencil sharpeners I guess.   This one is super heavy and very sleek looking.  They always sell well for me online, so I listed it on Etsy *SOLD!*.  And the neat old clamps will be available for sale on Instagram before I move them to Etsy.  Aren't they cool looking?
 These were in a bag under a table in the garage at the estate sale.  A great find, though  I could have totally gone without the giant spider that came screaming out the second I touched the bag.  I screeched like a little girl, everyone turned.  It was ridiculous!  Anyway, the bag had 6 of the honeycomb bells, two foil stars and one foil garland.  They gave it to me for $1!  SCORE!!!
 Another beautiful example of her stellar stitching skills.  She did 6 pieces in this set.  Does anyone know what each piece would have been used for?  I'm guessing a few of them were hankies, but otherwise I'm stumped.
 Stumped again.  Was this meant to be a wall hanging? I love the scene on this piece.
 The Husband asked me where the funeral was when I brought this home!  Phooey on that!  I'm almost as in love with this rain coat as I am the afghan..  It's a bit big on me, but I think it could be altered relatively easily.
The estate sales are heating up around here.  There are two in a little town not far from me that I'm thinking about hitting.  I would love to be the early bird that gets the worm but The Little Dude wouldn't be nearly as thrilled.  And I'm not a huge fan of that whole standing in line and competing with others to get the goods thing.  I'd rather poke around and take my time.  Ya know, enjoy myself!  I can't handle the stress otherwise.
Are you an early bird or an, "I'll get there when I get there" type when it comes to estate sales?


14 comments:

  1. Yay for the Pyrex!! And the Easter. And the honeycombs. Yay for everything!

    I would also love to be the person that could show up to a sale after it starts and poke around at my leisure. Unfortunately, if you aren't the early bird and one of the first 20 or so in line around here, you get nothing. Things get picked FAST!!

    Erica

    ReplyDelete
  2. DAMN IT! If you come across another pencil sharpener like the 2nd one I CALL DIBS! Haha we need one like crazy out at the Casablanca but we never see them around here anymore. What a great haul! The afghan is great (I love the turquoise) and all the decorations you found!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm loving anything honeycomb lately.......

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful, wonderful finds! I like to be the early bird to sales!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i like to be there early. nice finds

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your beautiful embroidered pieces could have been used as dresser scarves.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful finds....again! Your coat is cool, hubby will love it soon. I can't believe the Pyrex finds. Any Pyrex around here is priced like it's 14K gold, whatever the condition, lol.

    Many of these embroidered pieces were made to protect furniture, especially the sets of 3 pieces. They were laid on the spot where the head touches and on the arm rests to protect from dirt. Some also were made as sideboard sets or dresser sets. Beautiful work! Can't even imagine the time and patience it took. Loving your afghan too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Smart lady, I knew you'd know! Thanks so much!

      Delete
  8. that is a great haul! i have a little table runner with the same deer embroidery! it is so sweet! and those afghan colors are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So colorful, I love them all! Especially that blue pencil sharpener, that's my favorite color.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jane is right, the set of pieces would have been for a suite of bedroom furniture. The little pieces would go on one of those vanities that had two high sides and a lowered part in the middle, the larger ones on the tall men's dresser and on the nightstands. I think the Mexican theme piece would have been a card table cover, but I can't tell exactly how big it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Card table cover! That's genius! Thanks so much!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! Your advice, tips and comments are sincerely appreciated!!! I need all the help I can get...